Thursday, October 12, 2006

Another Reminder Of How Short Life Is

Yesterday, we all heard about the tragic plane crash into a New York building that killed 2 people, one of whom was New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle. Many on talk shows and sports television / radio programs will be discussing how more and more athletes are being hurt (or killed) as a result of their continued pursuance of "the thrill". For some, it's the thrill of flying. For others, it might be the thrill of riding a motorcylce or racing a dragster. Some like to skydive or scuba dive. Whatever their hobbies are, it seems some of them are being suddenly and drastically taken from us.

However, I'm not here this morning to talk about the evils of pro athletes involved with activites that could hurt them and the teams they represent. What is on my mind today is another fleeting reminder of how precious yet short our lives really are.

Lidle was on his way home to be with his wife & kids in California, who, oddly enough, were also in the air on a commercial flight (reportedly). However, I've heard it said that most of America knew of the crash and his death before the Lidles reached the ground. How sad and tragic for them. He leaves behind a wife and their 6 year old son.

I have often talked about what kind of legacy am I going to leave behind when it's my time to go. Will people think fondly of me? Will my kids and wife be OK? Will they remember me? How will our kids grow up and turn out? What kind of influence will I have had on them and will that influence continue to guide them thoughout their lives? What about all the friends and family I leave behind? What kind of impact will I have had on their lives? Will it make a difference? Will my message of trusting and believing in the Lord ring out? Will that be my calling card?

Will people think back about me and see Christ living and working in me? That's what I want most of all. No accolades or marks of good conduct for anything I've done but (hopefully) all that people will say about me is that they saw Jesus when they saw me.

I often wonder about the things I do in life and the kind of life I lead. Does it point people toward Him? This blog that I try to keep up to date...do people find hope and joy in it? Is it the kind of hope and joy that can only be found in a personal relationship with Jesus? Am I conveying this message properly, reaching out to people who may be hurting or needing encouragement?

Do I like it when I hear people are reading this blog? You bet. But, my hope and reason for doing this is not only to bring encouragement to people and maybe a few good laughs now and then, but I really want people to know the Lord I know. I want people to reach out to Him the way I did on September 11, 2001. I want people to feel the way He reached back to me and wrapped His loving arms around me, assuring me that He would never leave nor forsake me. I want people to feel His love, to experience His peace, to know Him and His plan for their lives.

I want people to accept Him for who He is, realizing that much of that comes from a deep faith that cannot be proven scientifically but can only be affirmed by the knowledge of us being saved by His marvelous grace. The reminder that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

There is no favoritism with God. Nothing separates me from you in His sight. He loves us all the same and the Bible says He desires that none should perish and to prevent this from happening, God did a wonderful thing for us.

He sent His Son into the world to die for each & every one of us. He became "sin" so that we might become "sinless". Forgiven. Redeemed. One of His own.

I don't say these things today in some sort of way to fill a quota before I die. I don't say these things because of a horrible accident in NYC yesterday. I don't say these things to keep them fresh on your mind so that IF I die soon, people can say "oh yeah, he talked about God a lot."

No.

The reason I say these things today (and quite often) is that I am called to do so. I know that the Word says that if I were not to praise the Lord the very stones of the earth would erupt into song. Jesus said that we are to go out into the world and become fishers of me. We are to plant the seed and collect the harvest.

It is my most earnest opinion that time is ticking by and running out. With world events seeming to pulse in a more determined, drastic and tragic manner (ie: wars & rumors of wars, brutal slayings, kidnappings, hate), I believe we are so much closer to the brink of Christ's return than we've ever been. You may scoff at this notion or just outrightly think I've lost it.

Please...don't disregard what I'm trying to tell you today.

Read the book of Revelation and Daniel. Read the newspapers and dig into the history and prophecy of Israel and the End Times.

There are factors that are falling into place even as I type this.

Life is short. Time is slipping by and eventually it will all be too late.

Make your mark today. Create your legacy. See the world through Christ's eyes and love one another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home