Monday, September 25, 2006

Ease The Pain

I have to admit that as I begin to write this blog this morning, I'm somewhat at a loss for words. I don't really have a clear direction on what I'm going to write about but I hope that as I go along, God will begin to reveal Himself through my fingers as this entry takes shape. There are little tidbits here and there that are bouncing around in my head this morning so I ask Him to help make things clear, to give me order and to give me some peace of mind.

There is a real sense of negativity around me today. I'm not saying I am negative but I'm feeling a dark vibe within people. Perhaps it's with all the upset fans here at the U of A and their displeasure of our head coach Houston Nutt. I don't think there are hundreds of thousands of upset fans (I can't see why they would be after a thrilling 1 point win over Alabama on Saturday) but I do know there is a good-sized contingent who are voicing their disapproval about a lot of things going on up at the Broyles Complex.

Some of these issues may be real but I know most of these are more baseless assumptions, specualtion and wishful thinking. While it's not worth going into all the hate being spewed forth toward Houston, from radio talk shows to newspaper editorials to internet message boards to even the television media, it seems that this pervasive conflict continues it's negative undercurrent, seeking to bring down as many as it can.

I feel for our coach today. Being someone in the public spotlight, I know how it is for people to want to take shots at you. For whatever reason, reasons that make absolutely no sense but are there nonetheless, there is this perception that if you are a public figure, we have the right to outwardly criticize you, even to the point of personal attacks. Constructive criticism is fine in any job. Disappointment and discouragement is expected all throughout our lives. But when that "criticism" turns to outright hate and despondancy, that's when the line gets crossed.

This contingency I spoke of earlier is on such a "hate" campaign that nothing less than the removal and firing of Houston Nutt will satisfy their bloodlust. Forget the fact that Arkansas is now 3-1 overall, 2-0 in SEC play. This is the first time in nearly 10 years the Hogs are 2-0 in the SEC. Yet, by starting the season off with a 30+ point beating at the hands of USC, we've set the table with not only a brutal defeat here at home but now the perception that the coaching staff is at each other's throats, running various forms of various offenses (not relying on the offensive coordiantor Gus Malzahn's schemes) and not being unified in their approach to winning games.

It's all a mad combo of negativity stew, full of venom, hate, discontent, slander, disrespect and insults.

Funny how yesterday, our pastor continued his series on "When My Pain Is Real...". His sermon was subtitled "They Just Don't Understand" and it spoke of how when people are hurting, many times, they don't feel like there is anyone they can share this pain with. People put on plastic smiles and plastic theologies and prop themselves up as either "know it all's" or "impervious to hurt". How far from the truth that is.

Pastor came up with an acrostic for the word "pain", which made a lot of sense to me.

P - personal
A - anguish
I - intense
N - now

Think of it. The hurt you feel in your life is obviously personal. Something you feel deep within you, down to the bottom of your soul. You anguish over it, hoping someone will either offer you support or direction...a way out. This hurt is extremely intense and seems to overwhelm you, blinding you to any sort of solution. And of course, this hurt you're feeling is going on at this very moment...now.

Pastor's been referencing this series from the book of Job. Yesterday, he spoke of how Job's three friends were all there, trying to offer support but ended up coming off as arrogant, pious and not listening to Job's story. In their "efforts" to help Job get over this pain (the loss of his 7 sons & 3 daughters, his home, his wealth, his status and his health), they ended up accusing Job of being on the receiving end of God's judgment for some sin in his life. Rather than going to meet Job where he was, loving him and accepting him right there, they all assumed roles of some outlandish doctor, attempting to prescribe more hurt and guilt upon him rather than easing his pain.

All throughout the service, I couldn't help but think of Houston Nutt and how people seem to be coming at him from all sides. Regardless of what he's trying to do as a head coach, no one seems to be happy with him. Unfortunately, I see him in a "no win" situation. If the offense gets better, Gus will get the credit. If the offense struggles, Houston gets the blame.

Look, I don't know all that goes on behind closed doors in coaching meetings. I'm not trying to pick sides and become divisive. What I'm trying to do is, at least in my mind and in prayer, hope that some relief will be given from this man's pain. I know he's suffering. Much of what he's going through reminds me of the kind of situations my dad used to go through in fighting certain persuasive members of his school board. These were the kind of people that would seek to not only remove a man from his position but drag his reputation through the mud and undermine his authority (my dad was school superintendent) along the way.

I see so many parallels with Houston Nutt's situation.

While I know I may never meet Coach Nutt and the odds of him just randomly stumbing across this blog are slim to none, I am praying that not only will he seek God's wisdom & discernment in this season of his life but that God will really work through him and bring him to the point He intended for Houston to be. I am aware there will always be negative people in this world. Like the saying goes, you can't please everyone all the time. However, as our church enters a new 50 Days of Prayer, my prayer & plea will be for a calming spirit to fall upon people. A sense of contentment and a respect of people will come about.

I pray that people will realize that they cannot keep running from God forever. I pray that this blog will be used as a tool for Him, to share His eternal message of hope & love and that many will come to recognize Christ as Lord & Savior in their own lives.

I'll close today by asking all of you who read this to keep in mind...if ever there is a time when you are going through a season of pain in your life, I hope you will never hesitate to contact me if you just want someone to talk to. I'm not going to "scripturalize" you, as Pastor Floyd mentioned yesterday in such a blunt yet truthful manner, but I will be there to love and support you just as Christ would and does.

I also hope that if you feel the need to just cry out, cry out to Jesus. There's no formal thing you have to say, no degree in theology you have to possess to talk to Him. Just be real. Just be you. He will answer, as His word says. Seek Him today.

I love you all and thank you so much for stopping by. May the pain you might be feeling today be replaced by the love & hope my best Friend can offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home