Sunday, January 27, 2008

Jermiah 29:11...The Promise Of Hope

For I know the plans I have for you"- this is the LORD's declaration-"plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11 HCSB)

This scripture has had such powerful meaning and truth for me and my family in the past. There is so much about it that encourages me, revives me, reminds me and promises me that no matter what I may be going through, He knows the plans He has for me.

In times of sickness, illness, death or even rejoicing, He knows the plans He has prepared. No matter what may lie before us in the very immediate...the "now" of our lives...regardless of how good or bad things are, we can take solace and shelter in His promise of caring for His own.

No truer promises have ever been so comforting than it has for me as I, along with numerous others in Nashville TN, have been praying for the miraculous healing and deliverance of a precious 18 month old boy who was diagnosed last Monday with the most aggressive form of leukemia known to doctors.

It's called Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) - M7.

My sister Angela has been keeping me up to date with the occasional details in little Isaac's case. She said that this form of leukemia is not only the most aggressive, it's also the most rare. Doctors really don't have much to give in the way of treatments, survival rates or further fighting of this disease due to it's incredibly rare occurrences.

Early reports say that even IF Isaac survives the chemotherapy treatments, he has less than a 20% chance of living past 2 years. And yet, without any kind of chemo, he will most likely die within a month. Whatever his remaining years of life turn out to be, they are going to be filled with sickness and pain.

However, as Angela so awesomely stated in her email, "but isn't it amazing to know that we serve a God who doesn't care about survival rates?"

Indeed, we serve a mighty, able and loving God who doesn't need our approval, our permission or our wisdom before He decides how and when He will intervene.

We met Isaac for the first time last summer at my niece Avery's birthday party. He had just been adopted officially just days beforehand and his new mom Mysty was so thrilled to be able to present him as her son. He had such a wonderful personality about him and his big brown eyes seemed to drink each and every one of us in. I can recall holding him myself and hugging him tightly, knowing the kind of family he'd just been rescued from...full of drugs, alcohol and neglect.

Now, here he was, safe and warmly embraced by all who saw him. Laughter, hugging, kissing and overall baby silliness came over anyone who held this precious boy, almost as if he'd always been here.

I only got to see him for a few hours that day but I really became fond of him and wondered if maybe Jennifer and I ought to consider adoption one day.

From all the stories I'd heard from Angela in the weeks and months that followed, she always talked about how well Isaac had been adjusting and how there was just so much joy surrounding him.

Now though, the most shattering news a parent can be given about their child had been delivered. Such grief and devastation were immediate as the prayers began toward heaven with the same intensity.

Certainly, if it is the Lord's will that this little boy go home to be with Him after only 18 short months on this earth, then Isaac's newly adopted parents are willing to accept this and give Him the glory for it. However, it doesn't hurt at all for any of us to pray for Isaac's healing and restoration.

Whichever way the Lord heals Isaac, we will give God the praise...

that healing WILL come,
restoration WILL come and
hope WILL come, just as the Bible says.

There is a group of songs by Martha Munizzi that have really ministered to my spirit lately and it's from her "The Best Is Yet To Come" CD. The songs are all in succession, flowing seamlessly into one another, beginning with a medley of songs singing about the wonderful, miraculous name of Jesus ("Jesus Is The Sweetest Name I Know" into "Something About That Name").

That medley flows into a song called "I Know The Plans I Have For You" which speak directly from Jeremiah 29:11 and how we can apply those truths to our lives today. From there, it goes into a wonderful song of hope about the future called "Your Latter Will Be Greater".

Haggai 2:9 says "The latter glory of this house shall be greater than the former, says the LORD of hosts. And in this place I will give peace, declares the LORD of hosts.'"

This song so eloquently talks about how we, as His children, will be blessed so much more than we could ever hope or dream for.

The way this entire set starts off slowly in a soft, somber, soothing tone and swell into joyous, praise-filled shouts of triumph lift my heart and my eyes to Heaven expectantly as I pray to God with my own requests.

I have been praying earnestly for Isaac and I invite you to join all of us as well. Please keep him in your prayers this week as he begins his chemotherapy to help fight this likely fatal cancer.

Whatever happens now, it's in the Lord's hands and we give Him all the praise.

May He bless you and your family this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home