Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Snow Day

Well, to no one's surprise, we had a pretty good accumulation of snow over night. I don't know the exact amount we got but it's not quite the 10" some were predicting. I'd guess it was somewhere between the 4-5" mark.

I woke up this morning around 7am to check the internet to see if we had school. I was certain we didn't but you never know how "eager" some school officials can be to keep their snow days. I saw that indeed Fayetteville Public Schools were closed and I breathed a sigh of relief. I'd told the kids to stay in bed and SLEEP IN until I came to get them, primarily because that's exactly what I wanted to do. I woke up with a pretty good cough and that yuckly prickly fingers up the spine sensation that caused me to realize staying in bed would be a pretty good option.

However, that was not to be the case. Why?

Because mere moments after I closed down the computer in our bedroom, I heard the pitter patter of 2 sets of feet giddily racing down the stairs.

Followed almost immediately by audible expressions of sheer joy, elation and awe.

"Oh man" I muttered to myself as I quickly realized my plans to get back on the SS Snoozer were about to be thwarted.

"DADDY!" the kids shouted. "LOOK AT ALL THE SNOW!!"

Without missing a beat and perhaps as a way to teasingly get back at the kids for getting up so "early", I said "hurry up guys and get ready...we've got school today."

You could've heard a pin drop as their faces slumped into their chests.

"What?" they exclaimed. "We've got school??"

I then let them off the hook and laughed and said "no...it's a snow day and we get to stay home & play!"

I'm not sure when it happened but almost immediately after my proclamation, the cries of elation about the snow turned into wails of utter agony as the pangs of hunger gripped their very souls. You know...they'd just eaten a bedtime snack only 12 hours earlier and yet the way they bellowed for breakfast, you'd have thought I'd been starving them on an Atkins diet for 3 weeks.

Quickly, the requests began to fly at me.

"Daddy, we're hungry."
"Daddy, we're thirsty."
"Daddy, when can we go out & play?"
"Daddy, where's Mommy?"
"Daddy, what's for breakfast?"
"Daddy, where's my tea?"

OK...that last one wasn't from the kids but I guess Jennifer wanted in on the action while the getting was good. LOL

So, after a microwaved breakfast of Monkey Bread (yum) and orange juice, I got the kids bundled up and sent outside for a winter frolic in the snow.

I think it lasted all of 18 minutes.

Here are some pix of the frivolity this morning. As it stands now, though, it's climbing into the mid 40's as I type this and the snow that had paralyzed Northwest Arkansas from even considering leaving their homes is melting away, revealing clear, clean roads that will undoubtedly lead to an afternoon visit to Starbuck's and the video store.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home